Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Literature Linkage

What I love about English, or more specifically, literature, is that all things are connected. I'll see or hear something and I swear it's "from something." "What's that from?" I'll ask, curious of my familiarity. Something from a book or a movie or a TV show that rings in my ears, begging I recognize where I first heard it. I will notice underlying, hidden levels of subtle humor by recognizing instances of parody that I would not have gotten had I not seen the work they are parodying. I can recall similar stories or ways to relate a story to another one in similar event, character or theme. I see displaced myth everywhere I look for it, it seems. Be it in cliche archetypes (Oh, look--another sit-com with an overweight idiot husband and an unusually attractive, well-meaning wife) or making connections between seemingly unrelated texts. Everything must be displaced myth, after all, as I can seem to make these connections on multiple levels or through multiple works. One of my favorite is the set of connections I wrote for a British Literate I extra credit essay comparing the villains of Othello and Paradise Lost, noting the likability of the main antagonists, their similar situations and motivation (military or rank-based ascension and denial), their weaknesses, traits, etc. The number of similarities were of no little amount, and served to remind me that all pieces of literature are inevitably linked, especially if one looks hard enough.

No comments: