Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I Wish I Was Don Quixote

I wish I was Don Quixote. I live in this bland world, but like the ambitious poet, I long for more than what I've seen around me. I want to live in the ideal world, the golden possibilities of the romantic or heroic life. Being more than my environment and more than simply the product of said environment. I don't want the low-mimetic, I long and desire and lust for the unstoppable torrent of excitement and adventure that tend to go hand-in-hand with such copious amount of beloved myth. I don't want this world of schools and jobs, though I find I fit within it rather well.
That is the difference between he and I. I settle. I accept my apparent fate, willing to go with the flow, brushed along the dregs of the river of life, while Don rejects the world, fights it. He cannot and does not accept his lot in life and forces himself into a golden world, even if it may be only within his perceived reality. He then, is perhaps a high-mimetic character in that he forces his will onto others. He is a high-mimetic character living a delusional romantic reality, born out of his rebellious nature against his bored life in the low-mimetic. One would think we would have a larger amount of people ill-content with their position in this world of the low-mimetic.

No comments: