Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Don Quixote: Hero of the High Mimetic

I'm afraid I'm likely not nearly as far along in Don Quixote as most of my peers, but I have enjoyed reading it thus far and, time sparing, hope to read as much as I can again soon.

I don't wish to bore anyone with a synopsis of the book, but I'm just where he escapes his own house with Sancho Panza while Mr. Quixote's neighbors hold him captive and attempt (in futility) to destroy all his romantic books filled with the tales of knighthood and mythical battle. So far tlhe whole of the book has been a hoot. It's funny because it is so ironic and wonderful. This poor farmer despises that he lives in a time outside the errant knights, so he basically goes off to fulfill his own self-proclaimed destiny, completely oblivious to his own foolish atire, behavior and speech.
Someone said Don was an ironic character, less than society (perhaps because he is both poor and insane/delusional), and that he essentially has misfortune follow in his wake and footsteps. I would argue he is a hero, of sorts; he is a high mimetic figure, swathing his own path through life, utterly unsattisfied, or even convinced, with/of his life as a peasant. He may not have aquired riches or glory, but I believe the true narrative of the story is his own mind, his demented world of giants and gallantry, not the boring, menial life he was so recently bound to.
He uses his own powers (of dimensia) to create a better lot for himself in life, turning average women into prolific muses of beauty, and homely inns into grand imperial castles.

No comments: