Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Dead Man" & Muses

Mnemosyne does indeed seem to be the correct spelling of the muse, and it's worth noting that mnemotic and mnemotic devices are derived from her name.

We made mention of where to find the movie "Dead Man" with Johnny Depp, where he kills people with poetry, playing a character named William Blake. I need to clear some time myself to watch this, but here's a link I believe should work...

http://static.youku.com/v1.0.0329/v/swf/qplayer.swf?VideoIDS=XMjY2Njg1Mjg=&embedid=-&showAd=0

You will need the latest Flash Player™ to view it, so go get it, man.

Anywho, today got me thinkin about polytheism and how great that whole concept was. I mean, God must be awful busy nowadays with a few billion more prayers getting crammed in his ear than he had when he first built Man 0.1 (I believe Adam and Eve were still in the alpha phase when they were released). Must be way easier to pray to a specific God for a specific thing... has to cut down on the response time. It got me to start thinkin about muses and Greek Gods more as a healthy alternative to traditional religion, and being rather undecided in my religiosity, I considered praying to one of the muses, myself.

I have yet to do so, but I have been able to scour the internet to bring the nine muses to the forefront (as far as I know, it is an accurate list) Who appear to have all been (or still are) daughters of that crazy Zeus fellow.

Melpoeme, muse O' tragedy,
Erato, muse O'eroticism (tee-hee),
Euterpe, muse O'music,
Thalia, muse O'comedy,
Urania, muse O'astronomy,
Clio, muse O'history and fake Jammaican psychics,
Polyhyminia (one can imagine what her name evokes), muse O' spoken word,
Terpsichore, muse O' song and dance,
Calliope, muse O' epics, and of course
Mnemosyne, but I found her to be a Goddess of memory, rather than a muse, so not 100% on the reliability of my source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muses)

No comments: